Book of Mormon

Book of Mormon

Monday, June 1, 2015

Helloooooooo! 6-1-15

How is everyone!? I am a little stressed but I'm pretty sure everyone know why already. Being a parent is not the easiest thing in the world and I just feel more tired everyday! But my son is a good boy and tries not to break the rules I think. He just gets carried away sometimes. I am learning the language a LOT faster so that's good. ANYWAY!
This week was quite the different one. We got one more investigator with a baptismal date and that was really good. 20th of June. We are trying to help her prepare for that right now. We have a lesson with her today with a few members. So that'll be good I think.
Also this week there were 3 child baptisms! 2 on Saturday and one yesterday! I was really struck at the 3rd. I felt the Spirit INSANELY strong when President Dal Toe stepped into the font with his son and said,"Tendo sido comissionado por Jesus Cristo, eu te batizo em nome do Pai, e do Filho, e do Espirito Santo, Amém." It made me once again sad that I myself haven't done that... but we are hoping that we will this transfer.
This week I was thinking about the 2000 stripling warriors story. I thought about it compared to missionary life. There are few missionaries compared to the army of the world that we face. BUT, we have been taught by our mothers that if we do not doubt, God will deliver us. We will triumph over our foes. Then there is a verse in Alma chapter 57 that says how great was Helaman's joy to find that NONE of the young men had fallen to death in the heat of combat. BUT, EVERY single one had a battle wound. I then thought about that compared to missionary work. We, as missionaries are fighting the battle of salvation and during the fight we take wounds and hits spiritually, emotionally and sometimes physically. BUT, if we remember what we have learned, we WILL not fall in the heat of combat.
I bear my witness of these things. I know that I have learned of the truth of these things these past months as discouragement and sadness come and go. If we do what we can and let the Lord handle the rest we WILL Triumph over all of our foes. 
I love you all and I hope you all have a great week and I thank you all for everything you have done for me. Until next week!
Elder George
Note from Elder George's Mom:
Deven talks about "parenting" and his "son." That is missionary lingo: a missionary who trains a missionary first out of the Training Center is the "Father," and the one being trained is the "son."
He also refers to a story in the Book of Mormon. The Ammonites were once a violent people who were caught in conflict with the neighboring peoples. A missionary came to them and their hearts were changed by the power of the Holy Ghost. Because they chose to embrace the Gospel, they decided to make a covenant with God that they would not ever fight in a war again. At one point, they were even being slaughtered by another group, because they would rather die than break their covenant with God. They were befriended by a group called Nephites who became their protectors. There came a time when the Nephites, who were trying to protect themselves and the Ammonites, were struggling against those who would conquer them and take away their freedoms. The Ammonites had 2000 young sons who had not made that same covenant not to fight. Despite their youth and inexperience, they volunteered to fight for their people. Helaman, who was their leader, called them his "sons" because of the fondness he had for them. Helaman describes them as:
And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all—they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted. Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him.” (Alma 53: 21-22)
After a severe battle, Helaman reports that although ALL of the young men had been wounded, none of them had died. It is a beautiful story the of faith and courage of young men who lived for what they believe. Here is a link for the story if you are interested.
(See Chapters 53-57)
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/53?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment